Searching for just the right bike takes time, tenacity and technology. Nonetheless, it is worth the effort for that first, exhilarating ride. You, your bike and the great outdoors.
Many factors play a role in choosing the best bicycle for one’s riding style. Here are a few matters for consideration.
Basic Bike Types and Sizes
Bike types have individual sizes and fits. The following information is for general use only, as each person has their own personal style and preference.
- Mountain Bikes: Standard sizes are small, medium or large. These are among the easiest bikes to size as each brand tends to stick to comparable dimensions.
- Road Bikes: Brands use two methods to determine a road bike’s dimensions. Each has the standard S, M, L size. In addition, individual brands have their own numerical size. One medium bike will likely ride differently than another brand’s medium bike.
- Hybrid Bikes: As a cross between a road and mountain bike, hybrids are more flexible than a road bike in sizing. However, they are not easy to size like a mountain bike.
Consider These Entry Level Fit Recommendations
Important information about basic bike-to-body fit normally comes from your bike dealer. Sometimes, your best option is an online bike purchase. Finding the right bike should include these basic factors.
- Bike Frame Size: Without a properly sized frame, modifications or adjustments are difficult. Measure your inseam and have a technician help you determine the proper upper body position and saddle height.
- Assess current riding style: While you might dream of racing competitively, fit and measure your bike for your current skill and capability level. Adjust your bike as you learn and grow.
- Cleat Fit: If your cleats sit too far back, your leg muscles will not power your bike correctly. Cleats sitting too far forward can cause physical problems, including knee aches, Achilles pain, hotspots, numbness or worse. Your bike technician can help with cleat fit.
- Adjust the easy parts: Use your bikes current parts to adjust seat position and angle, as well as seat height.
- Swap bike parts: A technician can help you find parts to change on your current bike to increase your comfort and performance level.
Many other factors and measurements play key roles in attaining the perfectly sized bike. Nevertheless, knowing and checking these basic characteristics can get you started on finding your right bike.